Lead Quest Designer - Diablo IV
The Diablo IV team is looking for a talented Lead Quest Designer with a combined gameplay and storytelling background to help us create storylines, quests, characters, and dialogue within the world of Sanctuary. The ideal candidate will be able to collaborate within design, world building, art, audio, cinematics, localization and engineering groups to efficiently and creatively implement quest focused content and write compelling game narrative with a firm understanding of how story translates into gameplay.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Expertise in Blizzard’s worlds and gameplay, specifically within the dark gothic stories and fantasy of Diablo
- Expert understanding of quest gameplay concepts, pacing, character voice, and style of writing that works best for dark fantasy and gothic horror role-playing games
- Ability to envision and inspire others in their creation of quests, stories, characters, and events
- Extensive quest or content design experience. Ideally someone who has creatively owned and implemented a variety of quest content from concept to delivery
- Able to communicate expertly, inspire creativity, and describe concepts to a wide variety of individuals and perspectives
- Able to create and maintain a positive attitude in a driven, highly collaborative and iterative team environment
- A minimum 5 years of experience in game design, including at least 2 years in a prior senior or lead position on a narrative or story driven game
- Work with the Creative Director and development leads to set direction and tone for game quests, narrative scenes, and overall storylines.
- Work with the Lead Game Designer on defining quest standards and practices
- Provide mentoring and clear, detailed feedback to designers creating quest and narrative content.
- Coordinate the on-boarding and training of new quest designers
- Work with the Design Manager on career development goals and performance reviews for Quest Designers
- Work with the Gameplay, Tools and Engine teams to help clarify and prioritize engineering request
- Knowledge of successful intellectual properties in dark fantasy and gothic horror genres and speak to what made these successful
- Experience with scripting languages such as LUA or Python
- Working knowledge of technical writing and editing
- Knowledge and creation of RPG maps and points of interest within a shared world
- Experience creating and running pen and paper RPG campaigns, and / or live-action RPGs
Required Application Materials
- Cover letter, including:
- Inspirations you can use to craft content within Diablo
- What games you are currently playing
- Your experience with PC and Console role-playing games
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Job Status: Full-Time
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.