Lead Animator, Unannounced Project
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an exceptional Lead Animator to join us on an unannounced mobile project. As a Lead Animator, you will help bring Blizzard’s signature style to mobile audiences, and your charge is to maintain the artistic vision as set forth by the Art Director. This will include creating benchmark assets, workflows, and giving direction to external partners on outsourced animation assets, while staying on schedule. This person will have top-notch animation skills and be able to translate the Ar Director’s vision into actionable feedback for the team.
The ideal candidate for this role has direct experience with in-game animation and working with outsourced teams. You should have an ability to provide clear paint-over and verbal feedback to others, both internally and with external partners. A working knowledge and understanding of visual FX creation and appeal is a plus.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Own the quality control over incoming animation assets, providing detailed feedback (visually and verbally) and approvals to the vendor, to deliver quality assets to the development team.
- Create benchmark animation assets and best practice guides.
- Partner with art leadership to help define and realize the art vision.
- Lead the team in art discussions, critiques, and reviews.
- Partner with the production team to ensure schedules and plans meet business and project needs.
- Explore a wide variety of ideas that push Blizzard’s animation style forward.
- 5+ years of experience as a Lead Animator and/or Animation Outsource Supervisor.
- Fluent in Maya animation toolset.
- Organized, great follow-through, self-driven, and team player.
- Has worked closely with game design teams, ensuring that the game’s art enhances the player experience.
- Excellent communication, conflict resolution, and people skills.
- Experience working with outsourcing groups and mentoring other artists.
- Solid understanding of animation principles, with a keen sense of timing.
- Understands the visual style of Blizzard games and has a passion to push it to the next level.
- Understanding of FX, particles, cloth, and hair as they contribute to a character’s performance.
- Artistic skills: storyboarding, gesture drawing, 2D animation, composition.
- Technical skills: rigging, scripting, and an understanding of the pipeline.
- Physical skills: acting, martial arts, and choreography.
- Filmmaking skills: cinematography, pre-visualization, editing, and story writing.
- Cover Letter
- Recent reel demonstrating animation skills
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog, or online album).
- An art test may be required.