Design Manager - Hearthstone
Design Manager - Hearthstone
Oh ho! You’re moving up in the world! The Hearthstone team is looking for a fresh recruit to join our talented warband. All the best minions come here. How do we attract them? Two words: Funnel. Cakes….
…that and the chance to work on a AAA digital card game with millions of players in a fun, collaborative, and technically challenging environment with great compensation and a full range of benefits.
We’re looking for a highly motivated, positive, and experienced manager to support our diverse menagerie of content creators and team culture. The Design Manager is responsible for facilitating each developer's career development, motivation, and monitoring while working with the Game Director and design leaders to evaluate individual performance and provide coaching and counseling as needed. The ideal candidate will have proven experience as designer and manager across multiple released games. Join the charrrrrge today!
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Grow leaders through management coaching (IDPs, mentoring, one-on-ones, giving feedback, etc.) to leads and managers on the team.
- Monitors team health and keeps team leadership informed on status and anticipated issues.
- Works to improve communication across the entire development team.
- Serves as a mentoring resource for leads.
- Conducts 1 on 1’s with all members of the design team.
- Develop an interpersonal relationship with all developers; know their personalities, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Counseling team members as needed (including PIPs and other corrective or disciplinary actions).
- Assist in regular performance appraisals and provide review feedback to leads.
- Assist production and leads with work assignment suggestions.
- Plan and coordinate relevant training and conferences for designers.
- Own the recruiting process for the design department. Maintain a collection of the team’s best practices for recruiting through close collaboration with the Game Director and design leaders. Mentor team members, especially leads, on effective hiring processes (reviewing resumes, phone screens, testing, onsite interviews, etc.). Proactively seek new avenues for design recruitment.
- 5+ years of experience in a software development environment.
- 5+ years of management/leadership experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as Game Production/Development, Business, etc. A Master’s degree is a plus.
- Experience managing, coaching, and mentoring designers and other developers.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-up.
- Experience with staffing and team building.
- Knowledge of various project management methodologies and practices.
- Good cross-disciplinary communications experience between design, engineering, production, art, and audio.
- Approachable, relaxed, and friendly demeanor.
- A passion for video games.
- Degree in game design, management, or equivalent professional training.
- Experience developing games as a designer, engineer, or producer.
- Experience managing technical developers.
- Project management or project lead experience.
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter (make sure to mention language proficiencies, if any).
- The cover letter should describe why you are interested in working at Blizzard, and what games you are currently playing.
**Only resumes with cover letters will be considered.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Job Status: Full-Time
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.