Associate VFX Artist - Overwatch 2
Associate VFX Artist - Overwatch 2
As a player, there’s nothing like experiencing visceral heart pounding combat for the first time. From distinctive flash of light as Tracer blinks out of view, to the rolling smoke that encases Reaper right before he unleashes hell upon his foes… These will be the moments that etched into the memory of the next generation of Blizzard fans, and they will be created by a VFX artist like you!
As an Associate VFX artist on Overwatch, you'll use your extensive experience working with 3D packages and in-game FX systems to create a wide range of visual effects for both characters and environments. An understanding of how good gameplay marries with exceptional visuals is required as you jam with designers, engineers and artists to develop exciting new heroes that will pop off the screen thanks to your mastery in creating the textures and geometry needed for stylized VFX.
If you’re ready to tackle the challenge of helping realize the next epic Blizzard title, we want to hear from you!
- Creation of handcrafted visual effects to be used in real-time game assets.
- Technical setup, integration, and troubleshooting of VFX in a real-time game engine.
- Work with lead and senior artists to ensure timely completion of VFX assets.
- Serve as an active participant in team art discussions, critiques, and reviews.
- Able to create consistently brilliant, eye-catching, real-time FX using Photoshop, Maya, and in-game FX systems
- Able to paint stylized FX textures from scratch, matching an established style
- Experience authoring custom materials
- Self-driven, excellent communicator
- Previous experience creating real-time special FX for video games
- Previously shipped AAA PC or console titles as a VFX artist
- Working knowledge of rendering engines
- Proficient with 3D graphics, particle systems, physics, ribbons, etc.
- Experience authoring custom materials and graphics shaders
- Scripting experience in Lua, Python, etc.
- Understanding of how VFX contribute to the play experience
- Understanding of the visual style of Blizzard games and a desire to push it to the next level
Required Application Materials
- Portfolio of work in digital format (website, blog, online album, Dropbox, etc.). Physical media will not be accepted
- Cover letter
COVID-19 Hiring Update:
We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Job Status: Full-Time
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.