Associate Software Engineer, Shared Technology - Shared Game Engine
Blizzard Entertainment creates a variety of modern, cross-platform games that are played by millions of players worldwide. The Shared Technology team supports this effort by creating libraries utilized by every game at Blizzard, enabling teams to focus on building the best possible game they can. Our goal is to accelerate game development at Blizzard by delivering high-quality solutions to common problems.
We are looking for an Associate Software Engineer interested in working closely with operating systems and hardware to build solutions that benefit all of Blizzard. We want someone eager to learn and dig into difficult problems, with an aptitude for critical thinking and analysis, people skills, and demonstrated game or tools programming experience (in the personal, educational, or professional arena).
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
What you’ll do…
- Design, implement, document, debug, and test C++ code in libraries shared across the entire company
- Interface with Operating System and hardware APIs across desktop, mobile, and console platforms
- Build tools to help developers use our libraries effectively
- Collaborate with developers across Blizzard to build shared solutions to common problems
- Participate in code reviews and discussions with other engineers on the team
To succeed, you must have…
- Familiarity with C++
- Understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Customer service attitude with a desire to make the lives of Blizzard developers better
- Communication skills for sharing ideas clearly, learning from others, and giving meaningful feedback
- A work ethic that holds you accountable to your commitments and motivates you to make the best product possible
You’re a great fit if your philosophy is to…
- Commit to doing things the right way, even when it's difficult
- Refine your work through iteration until you can deliver an epic experience/product
- Value diversity and differences in others
- Find simple and practical solutions by building on the ideas and work of others
- Ensure discussions include every voice that has something to say
- Enable technology that makes games accessible to every person who wants to play them
- Accept that frequent and quick failure is part of the path to success
We’d love it if you also have…
- Git or other source control management experience
- Experience with OSS development or similar patterns
- Passion for gaming (especially Blizzard games)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunities for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!