Associate Lead Software Engineer, Gameplay - World of Warcraft
The World of Warcraft team is seeking an engineer to join the Gameplay leadership team. In this role, you will build and support collaborative connections with the rest of the team, manage and guide the development of gameplay engineers, and help the team establish technical vision and processes. The ideal candidate prioritizes collaboration and service to partner teams, understands gameplay engineering, and wants every engineer on their team to have the best job on Earth.
This position will join our two current leads on the Gameplay team. As we look for the third lead on the team, we are excited to be able to consider candidates with less direct experience in leadership roles. If you are an aspiring leader, we would be thrilled to see your application.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
What you will do…
- Manage, mentor, and evaluate a team of gameplay software engineers
- Work with production and other leads to manage the Gameplay schedule and backlog
- Champion work / life balance for the Gameplay team
- Serve as a sounding board for the technical design of gameplay systems
- Maintain collaborative connections with Design, Art, Audio, QA, and the other engineering discipline teams
- Serve as an active partner in the engineering team’s leadership group
- Work with the team to define and maintain gameplay technical vision
- Maintain familiarity with the game’s design
- Promote, contribute to, and participate in our culture of inclusion and diversity
To succeed, you must have…
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Experience performing in a senior software engineering role or equivalent
- Experience in the design and architecture of game systems
We’re also interested in hearing stories you may have about…
- Experience leading projects or teams
- Experience with mentorship or sponsorship
- Understanding of client/server architecture
- Understanding of current World of Warcraft gameplay and systems
- Fluency in C++
- Experience with SQL or databases
- Experience working on MMOs
- Experience with code optimization
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer competitive benefits and strive for a healthy work / life balance. We work hard to foster a deeply collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything, and we are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences… ever. Join us!