Assistant Research Data Analyst
The concept of “Blizzard polish,” that is, the infinite care and loving detail put into every aspect of our games, is something we take seriously and pride ourselves on delivering to our players, which is a responsibility shared across the company. Blizzard’s Game User Research team is a close-knit group; we care about sharing knowledge, learning about players’ experiences, actionable findings, and succeeding together. We genuinely love what we do for a living and expect the same from everyone who joins us. If your career is ready for its next great challenge, get in touch and let’s get to work!
Join the ranks of a legendary force of adventurers, demons, orcs, and scientists to help provide the context and humanity of "why" and "how" our players engage with our games.
We are looking for a passionate Assistant Research Data Analyst to support research on some of the world’s best-known franchises. You will give a voice to players from around the world by collecting and analyzing hard data and be in the thick of a team effort to build great player experiences.
As an Assistant Research Data Analyst within the User Research team, you’ll work with researchers to combine in-game data with findings from our studies to create complete insights that illustrate all facets of our players’ experiences.
You will be responsible for working with the research team to take a holistic approach to answer research questions. To accomplish your goals, you’ll be tasked with working with researchers to identify the best sources of data to answer research topics. Primarily you’ll need to manipulate and visualize data that complete the picture of why players behave as they do.
This is a temporary contract position (35-40 hrs/wk), reporting directly to the Sr. Manager in User Research.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Build reports, stories, visualizations, and conduct analysis, to better understand the behavior of players during research studies.
- Work closely with members of the research team to understand the needs of a variety of projects, framing them into research questions to answer with data.
- Collaborate with other teams across Blizzard ensuring the improvement of data tools, and the correct use and interpretation of data.
- Contribute to studies to discover new, valuable insights that support data-informed decision-making.
- Participate in creating new research processes and optimizing existing ones.
- Participate in user research activities such as research design, setup, breakdown, data coding and analysis, reporting of the consumers' experiences, and other research-related activities
- Provide clear and objective interpretations of observed user behaviors.
- Provide design feedback and suggestions based on observation, research, and expertise.
- Edit and craft reports as necessary.
- Maintain detailed records of studies and analysis.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Analytics, or related field.
- 1 year of experience in analysis approaches that involve assessing structured and unstructured data (or other relevant experience).
- Data literacy skills + experience using Tableau.
- Proficiency in SQL and working knowledge of Excel.
- Highly detail-orientated, organized, and able to deliver work at a consistent quality.
- Excellent interpersonal communication (both written and verbal).
- A solid understanding of mathematics and statistics.
- High aptitude for gameplay or level design mechanics, and theory crafting.
- Adaptable and quick learner that enjoys tackling a large variety of problems autonomously.
- Passion for understanding human behavior in video games.
- Knowledge of software development processes.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Knowledge of research processes and methods.
- Blizzard Entertainment player who demonstrates expert skill level in one or more games.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to champion an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!