Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an exceptional art director to help us drive the artistic vision and development of Hearthstone.
As a director, you will be the motivational catalyst and force multiplier for the art team. As an artist, you will help define the aesthetic of the game, cards, and modes… and the unique details that make Hearthstone fun, charming, and filled with delightful surprises.
Are you the type to inspire others as a leader and as an artist? Do you have experience helping define and communicate a clear vision in a highly collaborative environment? Do you thrive when managing and mentoring creatives? Can you be a true partner to the engineering, production, design and audio teams? If you’re ready to add your skills to a close-knit community of elite artists, engineers, and designers whose singular goal is to make the most epic games ever, please read on . . .
Blizzard offers a fun, creative, and technically challenging environment with excellent compensation and a full range of benefits.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Create concept paintings and other benchmark assets that establish quality expectations and inspire others.
- Provide day-to-day coaching and leadership for a team of artists, including career guidance, mentorship, and overall culture development.
- Participate in written review cycle, ratings, and help drive to build the talent of the team.
- Welcome and encourage feedback, team discussions, and foster an environment of safe and productive iteration.
- A proven ability to visually tackle problems in collaboration with the broader game team, including other artists, art leads, and design leads.
- Collaborate with other art directors across the company in defining and continuing to develop Blizzard's unique visual style.
- Proven experience directing and supporting artists across multiple art disciplines.
- Partner with production to ensure schedules and plans meet business and project needs.
- Partner with other disciplines to ensure the team is healthy and strong.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience crafting video game art.
- A minimum of 5 years in a leadership role and proven abilities in leadership to drive the creative direction of a game.
- At least 5 years' experience working in AAA games.
- You shine in collaborative work culture and truly enjoy working with others.
- You take initiative to solve problems and have excellent follow-through.
- Extensive experience in developing a unique and cohesive visual style in a team environment.
- Proven track record of delivering clear and consistent visual feedback that elevates the art team’s work.
- A desire to work closely with game design to make sure the game's art improves the player experience.
- An ability and desire to explore a wide variety of ideas to push Blizzard’s art style.
- A real passion for card or strategy games.
- Extensive experience playing Blizzard games.
- Cover letter (optional)
- Portfolio demonstrating relevant artistic skills
- Only digital artwork submissions such as website, blog or online album will be accepted
- An art test may be required
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunities for professional growth. Our people are everything, our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences ever. Join us!