Programmer - Physics (World Simulation)
Blackbird Interactive needs an experienced programmer to join our team and help take a respected and established IP in exciting new directions.
As a Physics Programmer, you'll report to the game Technical Director as part of the gameplay team. You will solve interesting technical challenges and empower our talented designers and artists to achieve their creative vision. As a key member of a collaborative team you will help to make good decisions and ship a great game.
- Work with designers and artists to develop a complex world simulation
- Develop high performance simulation of terrain, water, wind, fire and vegetation
- Profile and optimize the simulation for CPU and GPU performance across platforms
- Assess requirements and provide effort estimates to guide an evolving plan
- Embrace and improve our practices for technical design, implementation, and delivery.
- 5+ years of game development on shipped products
- 3+ years of relevant experience with physics or simulations
- Solid grasp of modern C++
- Self direction and a proven ability to thrive in a dynamic environment
- Good interdisciplinary collaboration skills, both verbal and written
- History of shipping AAA games
- Experience on multiple platforms
- Familiarity with Unity, Unreal, or similar full-featured game engine
- Familiarity with ECS programming patterns (entity-component-system)
- Demonstrated passion for games and technology.
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.