Black Shamrock is looking for a talented Lead Character Artist to be part of our creative team and work on ambitious Playstation5, Xbox Series X and PC AAA games in UE5. This is a full-time position based in our Dublin office which involves working in an international environment. Remote candidates will also be considered. The ideal candidate will have a great aesthetic eye, have strong technical understanding of character creation, have proven leadership and mentoring abilities, be a great communicator and be able to take creative direction from the Art Director and Creative Director.
What you will be doing
- Oversee the creation of gorgeous 3D characters for AAA projects, mostly hyper-realistic but possibly stylised at times.
- Following the project's artistic direction, and ensure unified look and consistent quality
- Ensuring all characters are optimised, built in accordance with technical limitations and completed on schedule
- Develop knowledge and expertise within their team while furthering their own performance and skillbase
- Provide mentorship, feedback, and training to others on the team
- Help set up character art best practices and streamline production processes
- Identify project risks and problems and suggest relevant solutions
- Prioritise, plan and organise tasks for themselves and their team in conjunction with the Producer
- Delegate and assign work to team members and outsource partners using tracking tools such as Jira, Hansoft and Basecamp
- Assist with interviews and performance reviews
What you should have
- Over 5 years of games industry experience as a character artist with at least 1 year in an art leadership role (shipped at least 1 AAA console title)
- An outstanding portfolio demonstrating your character work and a good eye for detail
- Proven leadership, team and people management skills
- Thorough understanding of the game creation process, from concept to launch.
- An in-depth understanding of effective character creation workflows and pipelines
- Expert knowledge in 3D modelling software such as Maya, 3DSMax and Blender and sculpting software such as ZBrush and Mudbox.
- Excellent knowledge in material and texture creation such as Substance Painter and Photoshop and a comprehensive understanding of PBR pipelines
- Strong knowledge and understanding of anatomy
- Passion for pushing the state of the art in asset fidelity and production techniques
- Be proactive and self-motivated, ability to work without direct supervision
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- International travel may be required as part of the role
What we offer
- Flexible Working Hours
- PTO Days for Wellness and Sickness
- Laya Healthcare
- Work From Home Options (Permanent During Quarantine)
- Training and Skill Development Opportunities
- Wellness Initiatives and Workshops
- Charity Events, Social Events and Participation in Community Engagement Schemes