Tech Programmer (f/m/d)
Black Forest Games is part of the fastest growing publisher in Europe, Embracer Group, and the biggest studio of THQ Nordic Vienna. Our last release was the highly successful remake of ‘Destroy All Humans!’.
Here in the south of Germany, directly at the French border, we combine the creative freedom and culture of an independent studio with the financial security of a big publisher.
We are an international team and we foster diversity. Sharing this mindset is a must for us. We are happy for every candidate who contributes to the diversity of our team.
We are looking for an experienced senior technology/engine guru to work with the industry leading Unreal Engine 4. For those looking to sink their teeth into every aspect of engine development you will also have the opportunity for delve into optimization and improvements on all relevant platforms (PC/XSX/PS5). We offer the opportunity to work with the most exciting cutting-edge hardware and development kits available today. A necessary part of being fluent with all core technology will be a lead role entailing communication with the largest technology providers through networking and conferences. Handling the relationship between us and the most current hardware and software providers is key.
- Work with low-level engine technology (rendering, streaming, audio, physics, animation)
- Take our engine forward into the next console generation and upcoming handled devices
- Provide and maintain modifications to Unreal Engine 4
- Further optimize our technology for high performance and memory efficiency
- Develop cutting edge eye-candy rendering features
- Research new technology over a wide field of disciplines
- Minimum of 4 years in games-development
- At least one PS4/PS5/Xbox One/XSX game shipped, involved during entire development cycle
- Deep understanding of 3D rendering pipelines and lighting systems (forward & deferred rendering shading experience)
- Working knowledge of assembly languages (Intel, SIMD: SSE, MMX), GPU shading languages (HLSL, Cg, GLSL), and general-purpose computing on GPUs (CUDA, OpenCL)
- Good understanding and practical experience with optimization
- Passion for mathematics and complex algorithms
- Fluent English
Not required, but a huge plus:
- Extensive multi-threading experience
- Experience with DX11/12, Vulkan, GX2, GCM, AGC, or X360 APIs
- Familiarity with a wide range of graphical rendering techniques
- Console experience on multiple major platforms
- Extensive experience with Razor, GPAD, PIX and Spark (or other relevant profilers)
- Have one of the ShaderX books on your nightstand
- Unreal Engine 4 experience
- Code samples (optional – submit only code that you wrote and own)
- Test task* (expect about 8 hours, can be spread over two/three days)
- Online video interview
- Ideally on-site interview if possible, otherwise second online
*Test Task Information:
Here is some frequently requested information regarding the test task:
- A sample application is provided with the task to help get the applicant started.
- The program will be written in C++. It should be delivered as source code with associated project files compatible with the Microsoft Visual C++ development environment.
- The sample application can be modified or used in any way to complete the task. The applicant is free to upgrade to any version of Visual Studio.
- The core of the application should be written in portable C++ and should not use features unique to Microsoft’s products.
- All libraries required to compile and run the application should be included in the package uploaded to BFG.
Why join Black Forest Games?
We are a team with a long history of looking for long-term companions – we are hiring for the studio, not for the project. This is an important part of our company philosophy. Talent is always welcome no matter where you are from. We offer a family-friendly work-life balance and a lot of flexibility.
Here you can work on IPs known worldwide and have a hand in shaping them.
As a bonus, Black Forest Games is located in one of the most beautiful and wealthiest areas in the South of Germany, located closely to Strasbourg, Karlsruhe and Basel. Getting here is easy, because of excellent traffic conditions – 3 airports about 30 minutes away, the Autobahn and the ICE station right around the corner. All of this in a region where kids still play in the nature and ride to school by bike.
You love everything about us, but you don’t want to live in Germany? No problem, lots of our developers are living cross the border in Strasbourg, France and get here easily by train or car. Strasbourg is one of the biggest cities in France with 500.000 citizens.