Senior Game Designer
Senior Game Designer
About Self Aware Games
Self Aware Games has been creating innovative, genre-defining products since 2006. A winning mix of compelling content and engaging social experiences keeps us top-of-the-charts in the social casino category. Our flagship game, Big Fish Casino, has generated more than $1B in bookings to-date making it one of the best performing mobile games ever. Self Aware Games is based in beautiful downtown Oakland, Calif., and is a business unit of Seattle-based Big Fish Games, Inc., part of Aristocrat Leisure Limited.
We are looking for passionate and highly creative game engineers, artists, designers, product managers, analysts (and more!) to help build the world’s #1 social gaming company. With a strong portfolio of live games and new products in development we are hiring in all disciplines. If you are a passionate game-maker who wants to innovate, contribute and hone your craft as part of a close-knit, collaborative and inclusive culture, Self Aware Games is for you. Here are a few more company highlights
- We take care of our employees with competitive compensation, great benefits and a variety of perks including frequent team events, catered meals, commuter stipend and free professional massage.
- We are committed to employee development and advancement with opportunities for growth across Big Fish Games and the Aristocrat family of companies.
- Our beautiful workspace is open and light-filled and located in the vibrant Uptown neighborhood next to Lake Merritt and a short walk from the 19th Street BART station.
Big Fish has an opening for a Game Systems Designer to work with our talented team in Oakland, CA. We are looking for someone who can craft economies and game systems into fun and compelling experiences for our players. The perfect candidate will have a broad knowledge of the casual free to play market and a deep understanding of player progression mechanics and virtual currencies. As a member of the team it will be your responsibility to use live game data to make tuning changes and to design new in game features that improve core KPIs - but are also fun!
- Create economic models that show the impact of tuning changes and new features.
- Leverage live game data to develop proposals that will affect core KPIs.
- Work with established senior team members in all disciplines to design and implement new features that will improve target game KPIs.
- Manage the scope of new features to effectively meet scheduling goals.
- Monitor economies from adjacent genres to analyze how they affect player behavior.
- Create tear downs of new trends in the free to play market.
- Give presentations to the studio articulating new designs or researched conclusions.
- 5+ years of game design experience with 3+ years focused on designing economies.
- Create clear documentation using wireframes, flows and spreadsheets that can guide product development.
- Create economic modeling tools that can be used for analysis and tuning.
- A skilled speaker capable of collaborating with developers, product managers and executives.
- Experience using data to develop and ship features for a casual free to play game.
- Experience tuning a live free to play game economies.
- Knowledge of free to play monetization techniques and virtual goods.
- Can work effortlessly within a fast paced environment.
- Can work comfortably with minimal input from team leaders.
- Be detail oriented!
- Knowledge of casino games.
- Knowledge of SQL.
- Have a strong secondary skill set (like art or programming).
- Strong math aptitude.
About Big Fish Games
At Big Fish, it’s our mission to enhance life through exceptional play. Since 2002, we’ve innovated, developed and published an extensive portfolio of popular casual games across genres. We’re dedicated to creating delightful experiences and connecting with millions of players every day all over the world through our popular titles like Cooking Craze, Gummy Drop, Fairway Solitaire, Big Fish Casino and exciting new releases like Toy Story Drop! .
Big Fish Games is an equal-opportunity employer. We bring unique talents together to build something special that’s why we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
- World Leader in Gaming Entertainment
- Robust benefits package
- Global career opportunities
- Our core values: All about the player, Talent Unleashed, Collective Brilliance and Good Business, Good Citizen
Our Winning Ways
- Unite - Come together as one team, with one vision
- Develop - Empower, inspire and grow our people
- Deliver - Execute with excellence, be accountable for results
- Play - Be creative, celebrate success
The US based roles may require registration with the Nevada Gaming Control Board (NGCB) and/or other gaming jurisdictions in which we operate.