Virtual Production Environment Artist
Beamdog, the company behind the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Editions, is looking for an Virtual Production Environment Artist to help us craft exciting new and experimental titles!
Reporting to the Project Director, the 3D Environment Artist will build amazing environments and props for ambitious projects. They will collaborate with a strategic and fast paced virtual production team to create new content (linear, interactive, AR, XR) as well as supporting new game titles. This team will be working with a near real time process and require amazing worlds to explore!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work to envision concepts and designs, in addition to imagining and creating environments from scratch.
- Complete environments and set pieces from initial block-out to final polish.
- Support efficient and collaborative prototype efforts with the design team and project leads.
- Utilizing your strong visual composition skills to create engaging and exciting environments.
- Collaborate with the design team for live character triggers and environment interactivity.
- Maintain a consistent aesthetic and technical quality in all environments.
- Ensure all content meets the highest quality bar and the performance requirements of the game engine.
Education and Core Skills Requirements:
- Minimum of 2+ years of experience in game development as an artist creating environment assets for games using Maya (or equivalent), Photoshop, Zbrush, and Substance Designer.
- Strong understanding of next generation asset creation pipelines in engines like UE4, Unity or equivalent.
- Ability to work quickly, kit-bashing will not be unheard of!
- Demonstrated proficiency in organic and hard surface modeling techniques with a focus on stylized content.
- Possess a good technical background with ability to grasp new programs and systems quickly to support environment art creation.
- Excellent understanding of light, shade, color, composition and detail when creating textures and material.
Beamdog is a fantastic place to work with a friendly and creative atmosphere. Located in Edmonton, Alberta, we're a hardworking team of passionate game developers who love the games we work on. Since 2009, we’ve brought enhanced versions of classic Dungeons & Dragons games and exciting original content to fans new and old. We’re best known for bringing beloved isometric roleplaying games like Baldur’s Gate™ and Planescape: Torment™ back to life on desktop and tablets as Enhanced Editions. We love rich stories where players can chose their own journey and the communities that spring up around them. If you’re excited about storytelling games, Dungeons & Dragons, and classic RPGs, stick around! You haven’t seen anything yet!
We offer the following perks:
- Vision, dental, and health benefits, plus extended healthcare coverage
- RRSP matching program
- Generous time off for vacation, sick days, and personal days
- Transit passes & heated underground parking
- Fully-paid gym memberships
- Lunch and Learns
- Flexible working hours
- Casual dress code
Diversity is fundamentally about valuing human differences and recognizing that a diverse group of people bring with them a diverse set of skills which is necessary to propel our company forward. Beamdog is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.