(Closed) Systems Designer
Are you an experienced Systems designer looking for an opportunity to work on a brand new IP?
Beamdog, the company behind the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Editions, is looking for a Systems Designer to join our team to work on exciting new projects!
Reporting to the Design Manager, Your knowledge of RPG and/or Roguelike gameplay systems will be invaluable as you work on new and exciting IP Development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create RPG and roguelike gameplay systems for components such as player leveling, magic, gear generation and more
- Coordinate with the project director and design team to ensure consistency of execution for the project vision across gameplay systems
- Work with combat designers, programmers and VFX artists to develop and rapidly iterate on game's systems and their implementation
- Write and maintain clear design documentation to be used outside the design department and work with the programming, animation, audio and effects teams on implementation
- Partake in play sessions, studying players and adjusting gameplay systems based on feedback
Core Skill Requirements:
- 2+ years experience in video game systems design working on a team of 10 or more
- Experience working with Unreal Engine 4 or equivalent engine
- Experience working within the CRPG style and it's gameplay systems
- Familiarity with areas of systems design such as player leveling, gear stat generation, player progression balancing and world mutators.
- Understanding of interdisciplinary dependencies and the ability to anticipate and proactively design around gameplay challenges
- Able to work closely with programmers in order to ensure quality execution of the title's RPG and Roguelike gameplay systems
Beamdog is a fantastic place to work with a friendly and creative atmosphere. Located in Edmonton, Alberta, we're a hardworking team of passionate game developers who love the games we work on. Since 2009, we’ve brought enhanced versions of classic Dungeons & Dragons games and exciting original content to fans new and old. We’re best known for bringing beloved isometric roleplaying games like Baldur’s Gate™ and Planescape: Torment™ back to life on desktop and tablets as Enhanced Editions. We love rich stories where players can chose their own journey and the communities that spring up around them. If you’re excited about storytelling games, Dungeons & Dragons, and classic RPGs, stick around! You haven’t seen anything yet!
We offer the following perks:
- Vision, dental, and health benefits, plus extended healthcare coverage
- RRSP matching program
- Generous time off for vacation, sick days, and personal days
- Transit passes & heated underground parking
- Fully-paid gym memberships
- Lunch and Learns
- Flexible working hours
- Casual dress code
Diversity is fundamentally about valuing human differences and recognizing that a diverse group of people bring with them a diverse set of skills which is necessary to propel our company forward. Beamdog is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.