The Narrative Designer will act as a champion of story, characters, thematic coherence, world-building, immersion, emotional engagement and narrative broadly through gameplay across development. The role will assist in leading design from ideation to release on interactive features that enhance story and increase player engagement through depth and replayability. The role will also manage approved ideas through the development process to market, handling design and programmatic implementation individually or collaborating with small teams or larger external teams where appropriate.
The Narrative Designer is expected to collaborate with Bad Robot’s full network of in-house and external writers, musicians, artists (e.g., CG, concept), producers, actors, designers (e.g., set, production, etc.), technologists, etc., as well as collaborate with Bad Robot’s other business divisions (Film, TV, Loud Robot, etc. whenever beneficial to the game or interactive project.
The Narrative Designer will report to the Creative Directors in the creation and development of AAA/free-to-play/social/games-as-a-service, as well as mid-to-small scale Indie titles of a variety of genres, for platforms including mobile, console, PC and VR/AR/MR. Depending on whether these projects are internally or externally originated, the Narrative Designer will support the supervision of external teams and collaborate with external partners.
- least 3 years industry experience as a Narrative Designer
- Examples of implemented narrative game content/systems in shipped games
- Experience with the following tools: Unity, Miro, Lucid Chart and Google Suite
- Strong collaboration and communication skills.
- Ability to articulate feedback, apply notes from multiple sources.
- Passion for playing and making games
- Ability to write, communicate and maintain design documentation throughout a project’s development cycle.
- Open-minded, innovative thinker who is driven by the desire to overcome obstacles and challenges
- Excellent knowledge of video game design processes and project management practices including the ability to co-author schedules
- 5+ years industry experience as a Narrative Designer
- Fluency in one or more scripting or programming languages
- Basic understanding of social and games-as-a-service mechanics, and the relevant market
- Game industry experience in other disciplines (programming, art, production, audio, etc