JOB PURPOSE/ SUMMARY:
The Art Director is a recognized expert in their field who can take the initiative in building AAA videos from the ground up. Have a wealth of knowledge about every artistic discipline (concept, character, animation, environment, VFX, UI, lighting, shading, and rendering), and can apply this knowledge to build a team and ramp up development from pre-production to full production.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITY
- Responsible for the quality of art and design across assigned creatives, directing other artists, and leading by example.
- Work closely with the Creative Director to create the overall aesthetic of production as well as the details of the creative art.
- Collaborate with leadership to understand and translate creative direction, to be aware of any plans that could affect the assigned task and to make recommendations and decisions concerning all artwork
- Analyzes competing products and makes recommendations to leadership Identifies new tools and technologies to improve content production
- Establish guidelines to maintain art style and quality throughout projects, creating style guides for creatives and updating it as needed
- Oversee multiple art disciplines (2D/3D/Sound/Concept Art), providing detailed feedback to multiple parties
- Drives the full establishment of art outsourcing capabilities within the studio, from identifying vendors/freelance artists to delivering final assets to our game teams
- Help maintain a strong art team health and morale, without micromanaging
- Help guide the creation of promo art and marketing materials as needed
- Provides clear written and illustrated guidelines that communicate the artistic vision
- Builds and maintains effective art team structure
- Evaluates, hires, and assigns talent for all art disciplines
- Promotes a culture of healthy critique on the art team with a focus on product quality
- Handles performance evaluations, bonus reviews, career growth plans, and disciplinary plans for direct reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in Art production or any related field.
- Minimum of 5 years experience preferably in mobile gaming.
- Leadership skills.
- Time management
- Excellent communication skills and ability to talk to artists, programmers and business leaders equally
- Excellent decision-making capabilities.
- Effective written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multitask.
- Excellent eye for graphical quality and knowledge of techniques used to achieve visual targets.
- Strong work ethic, team-oriented attitude, flexibility, and aptitude to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Broad knowledge across all art disciplines, including concept, character, animation, environment, VFX, UI, lighting, shading, and rendering.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of art processes, asset management and production pipelines.
- Experience with marketing campaigns of video games or applications is a plus.
- Experience working with artists to define the vision for AAA videos.
- Experience leading a team with emphasis on collaborating with senior leadership.
- Experience working as an Art Director or outsource lead providing art direction and handling multiple art vendors concurrently.
- Experience collaborating with vendors, including generating detailed documentation, video reference, and examples of art asset production
- Ability to work on different artistic styles
- Big plus: has been a hands-on game artist at a senior or lead level