At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Atomic Arcade is a brand-new video game development studio located in the Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina area led by industry veterans from AAA game and film studios. We are in the process of staffing up our development team with outstanding talent to build our first multi-platform, AAA game - a bold, new take on the GI JOE Universe starring the legendary character Snake Eyes! This is an excellent opportunity to not only build an outstanding AAA experience but to also help form the core foundations for the studio and team to build upon. We are proud to be part of Wizards of the Coast which is a division Hasbro.
As a Lead Character Artist you will bring passion for crafting high-quality character art and are eager to join us in our desire to push quality to the next level. We are considering on-site and hybrid working options as well as full-time remote candidates.
What You'll Do:
- Sculpt high-resolution AAA quality characters, build clean game topology, UV's and textures for character assets.
- Foster a collaborative relationship with others to build appealing characters, creatures, character skins, and other AAA content
- Support character concept and design teams.
- Work with other art teams, and game direction to establish visual style and production pipelines/processes for crafting character models.
- Collaborate across teams to help guide the Character Art team through pre-production visual development tests and conceptualization, as well as production execution.
- Work closely with the Tech Art team to maintain guidelines for model deliveries that allow for effective deformation and expression, as well as optimization.
- Assist and partner with the Art Director to drive and maintain high visual quality of character models.
- Lead, mentor and encourage the character team through verbal and written feedback.
What You'll Bring:
- Previous experience as a Character Artist in a leadership role.
- A portfolio that demonstrates a breadth of both technical and artistic execution of Character Art.
- Communication skills and knowledge to both effectively give and receive creative and artistic critique.
- Excellent understanding of anatomy, weight and silhouette.
- Experience using a real-time authoring toolset such as Unreal or Unity.
- Knowledge of art assets optimization for games.
- Expert sculpting skills using Zbrush from scratch.
- Outstanding knowledge of PBR texture/material workflows.
- Experience with Substance Painter.
- Understand rigging and skinning.
- Passion for making and playing games.
- Enthusiastic, positive, team-oriented; must have the ability to interact and collaborate with all departments and teams.
- Self-sufficient and self-motivated, can perform duties with little oversight.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.