Senior Character Artist
Ascendant Studios is looking for a Senior Character Artist with expert knowledge of Zbrush, Maya, Marvelous Designer, and Substance Painter to create highly detailed and efficient character models.
You will contribute to cinematic and gameplay characters that will fit in well with our existing style, world, and cast, collaborating with each department to bring them to life with best-in-class visuals.
This position relies on both artistic excellence and technical skill to create content that is both polished and optimized, including shaders in Unreal, trim textures and atlases, Smart Materials for Painter, and maintaining the material library and custom tools within Designer.
This is a full time position. We are all currently working remotely due to Covid-19, but once we return the position may either be based in our office in San Rafael, CA, or remain fully remote.
- Execute character models according to the Art director's vision
- Comprehend character art limitations and best practices with regard to modeling, model deformation, and Materials
- Ability to Create high quality and detailed character models with efficiency
- Strengthens work through collecting visual reference
- Provide block out meshes for characters for early gameplay prototyping
- Create efficient game resolution models that work well with rigging, cloth, or other dynamics.
- Creation of efficient UV’s and ID maps
- Contribute to finalizing PBR style layered materials for characters in UE5.
- Collaborate with Art Director and Lead Character artist to execute any feedback delivered
- Contribute to setting and maintaining the character art quality bar at the studio
Essential Skills and Experience
- 5+ years working experience in game development, modeling and texturing characters using Zbrush, Maya, Substance Painter, Marvellous Designer, Photoshop (or equivalent 3D and 2D programs)
- Experienced with AAA game production for character modeling and texturing
- Solid understanding of human and animal anatomy
- Knowledge of efficient character building techniques
- Experience and understanding of PBR materials
- Ability to translate concept to retain or enhance form, shape, and silhouette
- Passion for making and playing video games
- Good time management skills and excels at working within deadlines
- Good communication skills.
- Thrives in a creative and collaborative team environment
Nice to Have
- Character concepting / drawing skills a huge plus
- Experience in Unreal Engine