Back-End Systems Engineer
As a Back-End Systems Engineer at Ascendant, you will be responsible for the design, implementation, and integration of systems to support multiplayer features for our upcoming title, including metagame services, commerce systems, live-ops tools, and analytics systems.
What you'll do:
- Work with Gameplay Engineering, Design, and Product Management to develop specifications for back-end systems to support multiplayer gameplay.
- Integrate back-end systems with the Unreal Engine 5.0 game client and game server
- Design and develop toolchains that project stakeholders will use to manage gameplay systems in a live-ops environment.
- Review other team members' designs and code to identify systems that will require integration with live-ops toolchains.
- Interface with our external operations service provider to identify integration points and opportunities to leverage their existing systems
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to define and implement operational escalation procedures
- Develop runbooks and provide training for live-ops procedures
Who you are:
- 5+ years of experience developing and integrating back-end multiplayer game systems
- 3+ years of experience working in one or more commercial game engines, such as Unreal Engine or Unity
- Experience working with applications hosted within AWS is highly desirable
- Experience developing browser-based tools to fulfil operational needs is highly desirable
- Experience working with Jenkins or other CI toolchains is highly desirable
- Experience with and ability to learn new technologies and work in a variety of programming languages and environments
- Ability to quickly understand other people’s code and systems and how to best interface with those systems to meet operational requirements
- Ability to quickly diagnose and resolve technical issues in a production environment
- Natural intuition for designing operational interfaces that our internal customers will love to use
- Strong foundation of software engineering skills
- Passion for creating high quality code
- Strong verbal and written communication skills