Senior Character Artist
Arkane Studios is seeking a talented Senior Character Artist to join our Austin team! The ideal candidate will have a passion for creating memorable faces, a solid grasp of anatomy, and a strong understanding of composition as applied to characters. As a senior, the ideal candidate should have a discerning eye for style without sacrificing quality or composition. The Senior Character artist will also have a hand in researching tools to implement and maintain in the character art pipeline.
- Create and texture highly detailed 3D character models for AAA games
- Work directly with the Art Director, Lead Character Artist and Concept team in the creation of character assets.
- Interface with freelance artists and art outsourcers to help convey character art direction as needed
- Collaborate with other disciplines such as tech art, animation and design to understand gameplay requirements, technological issues and how they relate to the character art and implementation
- Serve as mentor for more junior level character artists.
- 5+ years’ experience in video games and shipped at least 1 AAA title as a Senior Character Artist
- Advanced Maya, ZBrush, Substance Painter, and Photoshop skills
- A solid foundation of creating Physically based materials and texture balancing as applied to in-game lighting
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and comfortable filling details where concepts may be vague
- Strong understanding of human anatomy, animal anatomy, facial anatomy and how it applies to facial animation, etc.
- Experienced with PBR engines like Unreal, idTech, or CryEngine
- Excellent follow through and takes initiative to solve problems
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Passion for video games and game development
- All applicants must submit work samples in order to be considered
- Ideal portfolio will consist of highly detailed character models (humans & creatures) realistic textures (skin, hair, worn clothing & accessories), accurate anatomy, etc.
- Familiarity with asset tracking and issue tracking tools such as Perforce and JIRA.
- Extensive fine art background and a strong understanding of color, the human form/anatomy and structure/silhouette in respect of modeling