Game Writer Co-op (Fall Term)
ABOUT US: Archiact Interactive is a Vancouver-based Virtual and Augmented Reality (VR/AR) Studio that develops new and unique ways for people to play games and interact with each other. We partner with IP holders, large publishers, and tech brands to create and deliver immersive, high-end game experiences across multiple platforms with a special focus on building new tools for cutting edge emerging technology.
OUR GAMES: Recent titles include DOOM 3: VR Edition (on PSVR), FREEDIVER: Triton Down (on PC, PSVR and Oculus Quest), and MARVEL: Dimension of Heroes (a smartphone-powered Superhero experience built for Lenovo Mirage AR). We are currently in the early stages of several new and highly innovative projects with leading industry partners and are searching for the best and the brightest to help us transform the world of VR and AR game development. Interested? Read on.
OUR VALUES: At Archiact, diversity is developed and driven by our employees. Inclusion is the way we show our commitment to this core value. Diversity in all areas of our workforce helps us build innovative and immersive experiences that are accessible to everyone. We are a Vancouver-based studio but are happy to consider candidates from all over Canada to work remotely.
ROLE OVERVIEW: We have an exciting opportunity for Game Writer Co-op Students to work on a AAA VR action-adventure game title. The ideal candidate has a strong interest in games, a passion for storytelling (especially through interactive narratives), and creative writing experience. These Co-op positions are for the Fall Term (September - December 2021).
You are comfortable working in a close-knit and collaborative team with a wide range of skill sets and personalities.
- Reporting to the Lead Writer, you will be focused on lore and codex entries for a large scale, narrative-driven game based on a major I.P..
- Contributing to in-game dialogue, scenes, audio logs, readables, or other narrative content.
- Assisting with the construction the overall story of the game by pitching ideas to various team members and leadership.
- Learning about the narrative design tools and possibly working in-engine.
- Reviewing and editing material for spelling, grammar, tonal consistency and readability.
- Collaborating closely with other writers, finding ways to build better story ideas together.
- Must be enrolled in a post-secondary publicly funded Canadian institution working towards a Diploma or Degree in Creative Writing.
- A portfolio of writing samples. One sample should be interactive in nature. You may include gameplay footage from a product you worked on.
- Must be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or have Refugee status in Canada.
- Exemplary English language vocabulary and grammar skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with attention to detail.
- The ability to work independently in order to complete tasks within deadlines.
- A team-player attitude with the ability to collaborate effectively with various stakeholders in a fast-paced environment.
- The ability to hold effective level and story discussions.
- A passion for video games and experience playing a variety of genres.
- A sense of humour.
NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience in game development or writing for interactive mediums.
- Knowledge of the game development process (through coursework or independent study).
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a link to your Portfolio of writing samples (no longer than 20 pages or equivalent) with your application. One sample should be interactive in nature. You may include gameplay footage from a product you worked on. If you are shortlisted, you may be asked to perform a writing test.