Lead Technical Artist
Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
Archetype is looking for an experienced Lead Technical Artist to lead team of Technical Artists in building the art tools and pipelines required for a AAA game based on Unreal. This leader will partner with the Art Director to prioritize and architect the tools our cross-discipline artists will use to make our games.
The Lead Technical Artist is a specialist in their field, combining a mix of artistic skill with technical know-how in programming or scripting. We need someone with experience in current game engines ready to build high-quality tools our art team will use to create our new game.
This person will have a breadth of knowledge covering at least several artistic fields needed for current games, potentially including environment, character, VFX, UX, lighting, shading, and rendering. They can apply this knowledge to guide our technical artists in tool development and the overall art team in usage from pre-production to full production. They understand the importance of art workflows and pipelines on the efficiency of an art team and can find ways to bring economy to multiple areas of art production.
The Lead Technical Artist understands emerging trends and technologies in video game content and can make strategic decisions that benefit the studio’s art development. This specialist might come from many possible backgrounds and will have experience as both an artist and technologist.
What You'll Do:
- Coordinate internal R&D for art tools, production pipelines, and content creation.
- Lead the Technical Artists on the project.
- Partner with Art Director to build a strategy and schedule for art tool and pipeline construction.
- Partner with Technical Director to define art-related performance targets and budgets and oversees creation of tools to measure progress.
- Work hands-on to create new art tools.
- Analyze tool usage by art team and continually refines our processes.
- Identify new tools and technologies to improve content production.
What You'll Bring:
- 5+ years experience in art tool and pipeline creation for interactive entertainment.
- Broad knowledge across several art subject areas, including environment, character, VFX, UX, lighting, shading, and rendering.
- Technical experience with tool-related programming and scripting.
- Thorough understanding of video game development, art processes, and production pipelines.
- Experience with Unreal engine is required.
- Experience leading a team in the creation of extraordinary art tools.
- Excellent eye for graphical quality and knowledge of technical techniques used to achieve visual targets.
- Ability to foster a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- College education or equivalent in multi-media arts and a technical field (CS, engineering, programming, scripting).
- Excellent decision-making capabilities and interpersonal skills.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.