Sr. Data Engineer
Machine Zone (An AppLovin Company) is a global leader in mobile gaming, with a track record of delivering some of the world’s most successful mobile games including Game of War, Mobile Strike and Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire. We combine the power of technology and creative vision to create experiences that connect people from all corners of the globe. Machine Zone was acquired by AppLovin in May 2020.
AppLovin is a Certified Great Place to Work, one of Inc.’s Best Workplaces and a recipient of the 2019 Glassdoor Top CEO employee’s choice award. The San Francisco Business Times and Silicon Valley Business Journal awarded AppLovin one of the Bay Area’s Best Places to Work in 2019, 2020 and 2021, and the Workplace Wellness Award in 2019 which recognizes businesses that are leaders in improving worker well-being.
Data Engineering team at MZ builds platforms and frameworks for building pipelines to process TBs of data on a daily basis. Our mission is to enable business users across the organization make smarter decisions faster, and develop a winning marketing strategy and engaging gaming experience. We are a very critical team with a high impact and high visibility across multiple business units. As we are growing our strength, we are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help us build and scale our data platform with changing business needs.
Our engineers move extremely fast, while solving unique and challenging data problems. Our platform is built on top of open source frameworks/SDKs such as Apache Beam, Apache Flink, Apache Kafka, Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, Apache HBase, Apache Hive, Presto, and Apache Druid.
We selectively gather top technical talent passionate about transforming data into insights. Come join us!
What you'll be doing:
- Writing code to enhance current pipelines and contribute to add new capabilities.
- Influence and enforce good coding practices
- Taking ownership in what you do; this involves augmenting your code with functionals and automated data quality checks
- Optimize tech stack to accommodate running existing pipelines cost effectively at scale and improving overall stability
- Analyze, troubleshoot and resolve data quality issues.
- Being proactive in identifying issues will be a key metrics for your success.
- We believe in ruthless data quality checks automations over hours of debugging when an actual issue is reported
- Working closely with data analysts and science team in empowering best use of data available for their workflows
- Mentor and coach junior team members to elevate their technical skills and help them grow
Your background and who you are:
- 8+ years of experience working as a Data Engineer or Software Engineer working on distributed systems at scale
- BS in Computer Science or a related field
- Hands on experience in Java, Scala, or Python
- Solid foundation working on Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Hive, HBase.
- Ability to work with open ended problems, explore solutions, work collaboratively, and communicate effectively
- Passionate about building data infrastructure, platform, and reusable frameworks
- Working with large scale distributed systems
- Experience building pipelines on top of cloud providers like AWS, GCP.
AppLovin is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.