Senior Technical Artist
Amazon Game Studios is searching for a Senior Technical Artist who specializes in character and creature rigging and tools to join us in Sunny San Diego, CA. If you enjoy bringing life to digital game characters by creating efficient technical rigging solutions we would love to talk to you. Our workplace is an environment where thoughts and ideas are welcomed and where problems are solved collectively and independently. The team is still growing and is staffed with friendly and experienced game developers.
The title we are developing is an exciting concept that will push the boundaries of game play and character visuals related to motion and deformation. At Amazon San Diego we are working and partnering with some amazing internal and external teams and have access to the best software and hardware.
- Develop rigging tools, scripts, and plugins to create best in class workflows and processes.
- Provide and create solutions to enable advanced deformation on characters, creatures, and other assets that are animated\simulated.
- Proactively seek out pipeline improvements, workflows and technology issues.
- Collaborate and communicate daily with teammates creating content.
- Manage the direction of technology created by external partners.
- Document best practices and standards to ensure workflows and pipelines are shared and understood.
- Collaborate with 3D Artists to ensure rigs will deform and behave in a way that is suitable for animation.
- Create rigging related scripts, tools, and plugins using industry standard scripting and programming languages.
- Research and explore systematic solutions that solve problems and enable efficient productivity.
- Provide technical support for a variety of disciplines focusing on rigged content.
- Troubleshoot and solve problems for teammates to enable them to do their best work.
Amazon Games applies the principles of Amazonian culture to the world of game design. We have a diverse team of talented, creative people pairing their love of making games with the unique strengths that come with being part of Amazon. Across all of our teams and locations, we are united by a common purpose: to share great gaming experiences with customers around the world. We believe in a future where everyone is a gamer and everyone can create, compete, collaborate and connect through games, and we are looking for the right people to help us build that future. With the power of Twitch and AWS at your fingertips, you will have the chance to innovate in gameplay, creativity, marketing, and technology, while working alongside some of the smartest and most creative minds in the industry.
Inclusive Culture, Work/Life Balance, & Career Growth
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We offer ten employee-led affinity groups with 190 global chapters, innovative benefits, and annual and ongoing learning experiences (including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences). Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance and offers flexible working hours. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. Additionally, our team is dedicated to supporting you with mentorship and pathways for ongoing development. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and are building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and promotes career choice.
- 3+ titles shipped on a current generation console, PC, or cinematic as a Senior Technical Artist focusing on rigging.
- 4+ years’ experience in setting up advanced deformation systems (facial rigs, muscles, hair, and cloth).
- Portfolio demonstrating a wide variety of character and creature rigging
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 in AAA game production including knowledge and experience using Blueprints.
- Python, OpenMaya, and PySide
- Deep understanding of character and creature anatomy as it applies to motion and deformation.
- A passion for creating and developing best in class workflows and processes.
- Stays up to date with trends, software, and technology related to the technical setup of best in class character assets.
- Experience rigging a variety of simple and complex assets intended for motion.
- Expert understanding of joint creation, skin weighting, binding, and deformation systems.
- Strong communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in workflows, software, and techniques related to the creation of clothing, fur, hair, muscle, and skin deformation.
- Strong understanding of anatomy, design, and motion.
- Ability to clearly articulate, demo, and present technical projects to small and large groups that are internal and external.
- Ability to efficiently describe and translate improvement requests for new tools, pipelines, and processes as requested by team mates.
- Maintain a high level of quality while working with multiple teams that have timelines and dependencies.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.