Amazon Games looking for a Narrative Designer to join the New World Team at Amazon Game Studios in Irvine to help develop compelling stories, memorable characters, and the deeper mysteries players will encounter on the supernatural island of Aeternum.
As a Narrative Designer, you’ll be responsible for conceptualizing, writing, and supporting the implementation of quests, dialogue, lore, and characters in New World. You will work collaboratively with quest designers, world builders, character designers, and level designers to create engaging gameplay experiences. It will be a combination of your experience and an understanding of narrative fundamentals for MMO and RPG quest design that will define success.
We are looking for individuals that are highly motivated and passionate for games.
About the hiring group
Amazon Games applies the principles of Amazonian culture to the world of game design. We have a diverse team of talented, creative people pairing their love of making games with the unique strengths that come with being part of Amazon. Across all of our teams and locations, we are united by a common purpose: to share great gaming experiences with customers around the world. We believe in a future where everyone is a gamer and everyone can create, compete, collaborate and connect through games, and we are looking for the right people to help us build that future.
- Pitch and document ideas for new lore, quests, characters, and storylines in New World.
- Write quest dialogue, lore entries, and UI text for in-game content.
- Maintain internal documentation and lore.
- Create NPC characters and implement them in game.
- Prepare for and sit in on voice-over recording sessions and manage script creation and VO implementation in game.
- Own the narrative aspect of content design from concept to final implementation.
- Work within pipelines and process to ensure quality and scope are met and maintained
- Collaborate with quest designers, world & level design, and art to create the best overall player experience.
- Maintain a strong creative relationship between production, design, programming and art & UX teams
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
- 1+ years of Quest/Narrative Design or Game Writing experience at an established game studio
- Proven familarity with dialogue editors and/or game development tools (Lumberyard, Unreal, Unity, etc…)
- Portfolio - Design Documents, Outlines, Scripts or Cinematic Clips for work produced as a writer or as a narrative designer
- Passion for video games
- Game design experience in MMO and RPG games
- 1+ PC MMO or RPG title(s) shipped
- Strong problem-solving ability and dealing with ambiguity
- Passion for dark fantasy and historical fiction
- Familiarity with 3D world and level building tools (Lumberyard, Unreal, Unity, etc…)
- Demonstrated ability to develop clear and compelling stories
- Experience developing characters and writing entertaining dialogue
- Proven understanding of game design fundamentals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact as part of a team
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.