Character Artist - New World
Amazon Games is looking for a 3D Character Artist to join our New World team in Sunny Irvine, CA. In New World, players will fight for survival as they explore and conquer the mysterious island of Aeternum.
In this role you will work closely with the character team and concept team to execute high quality assets, by adhering to the high visual standards and vision set by the Art Director and Art Lead for both character design and organic modeling. You will have strong knowledge of all aspects of character creation, and be a hardworking self-motivated team player that brings future heroes to life. You will be proficient in character creation and character systems for AAA third person action games. You should have a solid sense of vision and passion to create high quality assets that delight our customers.
If the opportunity to help create Amazon’s next big hit is the challenge you have been looking for, we want to hear from you!
Amazon Games applies the principles of Amazonian culture to the world of game design. We have a diverse team of talented, creative people pairing their love of making games with the unique strengths that come with being part of Amazon. Across all of our teams and locations, we are united by a common purpose: to share great gaming experiences with customers around the world. We believe in a future where everyone is a gamer and everyone can create, compete, collaborate and connect through games, and we are looking for the right people to help us build that future. With the power of Twitch and AWS at your fingertips, you will have the chance to innovate in gameplay, creativity, marketing, and technology, while working alongside some of the smartest and most creative minds in the industry.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with art lead to execute the artistic vision of the game.
- Must have deep understanding of the development of the character visual style / pipeline for outfit, weapon, and creature to deliver cutting edge assets
- Works effectively and collaboratively across all functional disciplines of the team.
- Accountable for delivery of assets, ensuring that they meet the highest quality, defined tasks, and scheduled requirements
- Able to follow direction and react to critiques in a timely manner
- Collaborate with the concept, character, animation and tech art teams.
- Increase the team’s skills through mentorship of skills, process and artistic techniques.
Inclusive Culture, Work/Life Balance, & Career Growth
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We offer ten employee-led affinity groups with 190 global chapters, innovative benefits, and annual and ongoing learning experiences (including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences). Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance and offers flexible working hours. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. Additionally, our team is dedicated to supporting you with mentorship and pathways for ongoing development. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and are building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and promotes career choice.
- Shipped 1+ PC/Console title as a Character Artist
- 2+ years of experience in AAA game development (PC and/or console)
- 5+ years of experience in game development or equivalent work e.g. live product development
- Online Portfolio demonstrating character art skills
- Passion for making and playing games!
- You have proficient knowledge of Unreal Engine, Maya / Modo / MudBox / ZBrush, Marvelous Designer, Substance Painter or equivalent package.
- Solid knowledge of next generation asset creation pipelines, tools, software.
- Strong grasp of form, shape, structure, and silhouette as they relate to modeling and gameplay.
- Thorough understanding of anatomy and how characters move when rigged.
- Solid knowledge of working with PBR shaders, normal/spec/diffuse maps to get the best look within game engine technical limits/constraints.
- Great eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps.
- Ability to learn new tools and techniques.
- Able to accurately estimate the time to complete tasks.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.