Director of Engineering
Age of Learning is a leading education technology innovator based in Glendale, California, with a talented team of 500+ individuals comprised of nationally-renowned educators, curriculum experts, designers, animators, engineers, and more. We develop engaging, effective digital learning technology and content to help children build a strong academic foundation for lifelong success.
Our flagship product ABCmouse.com Early Learning Academy®is a comprehensive online curriculum and the #1 digital learning product for young children. To-date, more than 30 million children worldwide have completed over 7 billion Learning Activities on ABCmouse. We recently launched Adventure Academy, the first massively multiplayer online (MMO) game designed specifically to help elementary- and middle-school-aged children learn. It features thousands of engaging Learning Activities—including minigames, books, original animated and live action series, and more—in a fun and safe virtual world. Other Age of Learning programs include immersive English language learning products for children in China and Japan; ReadingIQ, a digital library and literacy platform; and a groundbreaking personalized, adaptive digital learning system that individualizes math instruction for every child through AI-driven technology.
We are committed to helping all children succeed. We provide our educational programs at no cost to teachers, Head Start programs, public libraries, and other community organizations, and have served millions of children through these initiatives. We recently established the Age of Learning Foundation to expand this work globally.
As we expand our global reach and increase the educational impact of our programs, we’re looking for passionate, ambitious, and collaborative leaders to become a part of our growing team.
Our Adventure Academy product team is seeking an expert leader to oversee the engineering efforts on Age of Learning's newest product, and the world's first educational massively multiplayer online (MMO) game. If you have the leadership skills to work collaboratively across a large team, and you aren't afraid to roll up your sleeves and code as needed, we'd love to hear from you!
- Provide technical expertise to lead and manage a team of engineers across multiple disciplines – client, server, network, database, web, and tools
- Interface with creative teams to provide solutions for feature requests within limits set by company stakeholders
- Architect, drive, and oversee long and short-term technology solutions for client and server software
- Contribute to the technology platforms, libraries, systems, and tooling used by our engineering teams
- Work with production to plan, scope, and schedule solutions from the engineering team
- Collaborate and facilitate communication both locally and with remote development teams
- Contribute to emerging training strategies and career development initiatives
- Expert knowledge of modern mobile technologies including iOS development in Objective C, Android development in Java, and cross-platform development in Unity using C#
- Online game experience is a must
- Familiarity with client/server, database/web interfaces, and Unity development for PC and mobile
- Experience architecting and facilitating solutions for multi-player online, PC and mobile platforms
- Experience managing mixed-engineering organizations including local, remote, and vendor resources
- Experience building and managing technical teams, including hiring and mentoring developers
- Experience collaborating with and giving guidance to technical leads
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills when interfacing with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- A proven ability to facilitate consensus across cross-functional teams
- Comprehension of a variety of Software Development Life Cycle practices including Agile/Scrum
- MMO experience and familiarity with Photon Server
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong work ethic required, sense of humor a plus!
- Medical, Dental, Vision + 401k
- Highly competitive PTO policy
- Casual Dress Code
- Snacks + Drinks (Coca Cola Freestyle Machine)
- Gaming room including an Arcade (2,000+ games)
- Frequent team and company outings
- Limitless opportunities for professional growth!