Technical Animation Director
As the Technical Animation Director, you will join our Centralized Animation Team and report to the Studio Animation Director of Central Animation. You will work alongside and support the Studio Development teams to build and maintain the core tools and rigs that help unlock the creativity of our animators, artists, and mocap staff. If you are someone who is obsessed with efficient tools, elegantly written code, and well-organized working pipelines, then this is an excellent opportunity to work with the best development teams in the industry. Your mission will be to build the next generation of tools and pipelines used throughout all our Call of Duty animation teams.
You must be able to thrive in a challenging environment, with an aptitude for critical thinking and analysis, and a deep passion for videogames. Experience in animation, rigging, and motion capture workflow is a must. A passion for first-person shooter (FPS) games and knowledge of the Call of Duty games is a huge plus.
- Develop and Manage the centralized animation pipeline team
- Create and develop efficient character/weapon/vehicle/prop rigging and pipeline tools for the development teams
- Cooperating and working closely with each of the development studios including Animation Directors, Lead Technical Animators, and animation teams to ensure stakeholders are aligned in working to shared needs
- Develop and maintain character facial rigs and tools to support the facial animation pipeline
- Work with the motion capture teams to develop more efficient and effective tools and procedures for capture and delivery of motion capture data
- Working with C++/MEL/Python and other scripting languages to automate the animation rigging and workflow process
- Testing tools thoroughly prior to full deployed and ensure that they work properly throughout the production process
- Create online documentation and support materials for existing and new tools, methods, training sessions, processes
- Create, organize, and lead training sessions so all animation team members are able to fully adopt and use the tools and methods
- Minimum 4 years college bachelor’s degree (B.A.), and or at least 10 years of experience in animation game development in a Lead or Director of Technical Animation positions
- Computer Programming/Scripting experience (e.g. C#, C++, MEL, Python, Etc.)
- Experience developing rigs, systems, and tools for Maya, MotionBuilder, 3DS Max, or Houdini
- Familiarity of Game Engine requirements and rig parameters for Game Engines
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with other disciplines and departments throughout the development studios
- Good understanding in USD and how to utilize and deploy in animation pipeline to improve working procedures
- Familiar with advanced simulation systems both in the engine and within the animation software package such as Maya and Houdini
- Contribute and be part of a highly creative team, receiving and responding to feedback
- Absolute passion for playing and making the industry’s best videogames
- Ability to write technical documentation
- Reel demonstrating tools and character rigs
* Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered – we want the best, so tell us why that’s you!
** Depending on previous experience, you may be required to complete a Technical Animation Test.