Senior Systems Designer - Call of Duty
Senior Systems Designer Call of Duty Activision Central Studios
Activision is looking for a Senior Systems Designer to join Activisions Central Design team, focused on the Call of Duty franchise. Ideal candidates will have in-depth systems design experience as well as broad experience with proven skills in multiple areas of game design.
This position will be responsible for providing expert systems design guidance specifically for the Call of Duty franchise. Working directly with the Activision Central Design team, the role will focus on supporting each studios metagame, challenge, and progression systems. Candidates will be required to demonstrate proven success in complex systems design on AAA products including XP and leveling conventions, challenge and engagement systems, reward systems, and connection to monetization systems. Knowledge and experience working with UX teams to deliver systems design is required.
The Senior Systems Designer must be an excellent and persuasive communicator, capable of dealing with a wide variety of internal and external partners. They must have deep experience with hands-in game development. Documentation skills are critical, along with the ability to create and tune systems using science, user testing, analytics and instinct as guides. They must be comfortable with all degrees of ownership, from personally designing features to providing high-level feedback. The Senior Systems Designer must thrive in a challenging and high stakes environment. A passion for games new and old is a pre-requisite, along with a deep understanding of what makes great games tick and how to articulate that to others. Successful candidates will be expected to be experts in all major industry systems conventions and able to reverse engineer and document competitive titles to identify best practices.
- Will report directly to the Design Director in Activisions Central Design team
- Consult on multiple Activision Call of Duty projects, focusing on systems design
- Review and provide verbal/written feedback on design documents and work-in-progress builds
- When required, work directly with dev teams to provide feedback and design support
- Partner with User Research to provide support and analysis on testing results
- Contribute design solutions in the form of high level pitches or low-level designs as needed
- Act as a design evangelist for Central Studios by generating game breakdowns, best practices docs, and keeping a finger on the pulse of the industry
- University/College Degree OR respectable body of professional work experience
- 5+ years acting as a systems designer in the AAA console/PC games industry
- 3+ titles shipped as a systems designer on a dev or publishing team
- 3+ design areas with demonstrated competency and direct applied experience from the following - UX Design, Level Design, Narrative Design, Mission Design, Systems Design, Core Gameplay Design, Multiplayer Design
- Egoless personality, who can communicate effectively at all levels of the organization
- Expert with high and low-level documentation (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Visio, etc.)
- Passion for Call of Duty, with understanding of the franchises progression and reward systems
- Avid gamer (especially online) with a broad range of game experience and a passion for games
- Programming/scripting experience a plus
- Visual skills a plus (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)