Director, Call of Duty Strategic Initiatives
Ask anyone who works at Activision, or with Activision, their favorite thing about it, and they’ll tell you, it’s the people. We have world class brands, infrastructure and resources, but our success doesn’t come from assembly lines producing widgets. Our success comes from people producing greatness together. We are nothing without our employee’s brilliance. So if you’re interested in our biggest priority, it’s the people.
Headquartered in Santa Monica, CA, Activision operates at the intersection of technology, entertainment, esports, and consumer products. Activision is more than just the leading developer and publisher of video games, we are the creators of some of the world’s biggest, most ground-breaking titles in the industry. Our portfolio includes Call of Duty®, Skylanders®, and Destiny®.
For more information about us, you can look at our company website, https://www.activision.com/
As Director, Call of Duty Strategic Initiatives you will be responsible for driving strategy, planning, and leading strategic growth initiatives across Call of Duty development.
The successful candidate will have the ability to think strategically at a global level and effectively develop key processes, procedures and communications that facilitate planning and execution of key priorities for COD. This position requires extensive cross-group coordination, excellent communication skills, operational excellence, and the ability to build strong internal/external relationships.
The Director, Call of Duty Strategic Initiatives will provide insight and advice to COD Leadership and extended Activision Executive Leadership Team (ELT) around financial and operational issues, participate in overall strategic planning and decisions, and partner in business execution. We are looking for a self-starter who can work in a rapidly changing industry, tolerate ambiguity and demonstrate problem-solving leadership with limited oversight.
Strategy and planning
- In collaboration with COD Leadership, set and drive the strategic objectives of the COD Development organization
- Craft strategies and execution plans related to critical/strategic development initiatives
- Drive alignment for initiatives across Studios and BUs
- Engage with the Activision ELT on strategic initiatives/projects, contributing to the strategic agenda for Activision
- Be an agent of change who identifies, forms and drives execution of cross-functional projects to optimize organizational performance and meet franchise goals/objectives
- Insure appropriate resources are in place across organization to deliver against franchise goals/objectives
- Develop, track, and assess key performance measures across cross-functional projects
- Partner with Human Resources for people operations/people strategy for COD development population
- Disseminate critical information and manage / distribute communications to the COD Leadership Team and Activision ELT as needed
- Take on highly complex and strategic projects in partnership with COD Leadership.
- Manage, guide and ultimately own recommendations related to project work
- Ad-hoc analysis and decision support and leadership across projects
Principal Working Relationships:
Call of Duty Leadership Team, CTO, Call of Duty Studio heads, Activision ELT, Finance, and Human Resources
- Masters Degree/MBA
- BSc/BA in computer science, engineering or relevant field
Special Knowledge, Skills: (Tools and Technology, Technical Skills)
- Experience managing simultaneous strategic projects across a matrixed organization
- Experience in managing cross functional teams
- Critical and analytical thinking
- Excellent and persuasive communicator, capable of dealing with a variety of internal and external partners
- Organizational and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail but ability to think, operate and communicate at an executive level
- Strategic thinker but also able to operate on a tactical level to manage the day to day operations of the department. Must be comfortable with all degrees of ownership
Prior Experience/Previous Positions related to current position:
- 5-7 years of work experience in project/business management, consulting or related fields
Other Qualifications and/or Requirements: (Years of exp. required, key competencies to be successful)
- People Leadership – Excellent leadership skills and the ability to develop strong/trusting relationships
- Deep learning agility in order to address technical/development related challenges/issues and operate in an complex, fast paced environment
- Deep understanding of the game development process with a passion for technology, games, entertainment
- Integrity, excellent judgment and discretion, diplomacy skills
- Ability to envision and devise new approaches, concepts, models, designs and processes
- Ability to adapt to change
- Willingness to travel frequently, as needed
The video game industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Activision is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability