Data Services Intern
Activision Blizzard is the world's largest interactive gaming company and sits at the vibrant intersection of media, technology, and entertainment. A beloved and successful entertainment company, we're composed of two main operating units: Blizzard Entertainment and Activision Publishing, and some of the most talented game development studios on the planet, such as Toys for Bob, Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Games, and Treyarch.
The Data Services Group manages the data infrastructure supporting Activision Publishing’s blockbuster franchises and titles. We ingest billions of events per day, store them in our petabyte-scale Data Lake, and transform the data for consumption by groups throughout Activision.
Big company challenges, small company culture
We’re a technology-driven company who solves tough problems on a day to day basis, and interns have a big impact on what we do. We’ve had interns own and create key components of our production pipeline, and play a critical role in improving the delivery of data throughout the organization.
We also like to have fun while we’re working hard. We dress casually, we have flexible hours, and we have kickass coffee.
“We get to work with a lot of new technology on projects of massive scales. I started on smaller projects, then quickly moved to larger projects and responsibilities, and always felt a sense of ownership on the work I did. It’s a great team and you get to learn a lot here.”
- Yawar Mohammad Khan, Intern, 12 months
- You will be writing data pipeline components in Java/Scala/Python.
- Development of data integration processes using tools such as HDFS, Hive, Kafka, and distributed processing engines like YARN, Apache Spark, Hive & Presto queries.
- Monitoring/tuning performance of the Data processing infrastructure
- Creating tools to automate all the things!
We’re open to work terms of 6, 8, 12, or 16 months . Generally, the longer the term is preferred as you get more in-depth experience.
- Excellent programming skills, preferably in Java
- Understanding of SQL−based and relational databases
- A good grasp of fundamental algorithms and data structures
- Excellent debugging and analytical skills
- Passion for working with big data technologies
- Interest in the data creation lifecycle, from 1's and 0's to driving business decisions
- Can identify complex problems and find simple solutions
- Can clearly communicate technical concepts in plain English
- Linux/Unix command line and scripting knowledge
- Experience with distributed software development (scalability, efficiency)
- Experience with AWS / GCP Cloud
- Experience with monitoring/metrics (e.g. ELK stack, DataDog)
We’re looking for the same qualities as Joel Spolsky: “smart, and gets things done”. For that reason, we welcome your application even if your work experience is limited and you haven’t yet built up a mile-long resume.
Please list any additional experience you have with Linux at home, any programming-related hobbies and resulting projects, any interesting school assignments you worked on, any open source involvement and a link to your code repository and/or blog.
- Complimentary breakfast, lunch, and drinks from a fully stocked kitchen
- BBQs and Lunch & Learns
- City-center office location
- Relocation assistance (return flight and two weeks of accommodation)
- Vacation allowance
- Competitive pay
- Free games
How to Apply
As part of the application process, you will need to complete an online coding challenge. Once you have completed the test, our hiring managers will review your results and your resume, cover letter, and transcripts.
Below you will find a link to the Codility site where the challenge is hosted. You will need a full 135 minutes of uninterrupted time to complete the challenge.
Once you click on the actual test link below you will see the welcome screen which contains an option to "Try demo" button. We recommend that you try the demo on the site before attempting the official test.
You will need to complete the actual test in order for us to review your application.
Activision: Data Services Internship Challenge 2021: