Data Scientist, Live Ops
Founded in 1979, Activision has continuously disrupted the world of entertainment as a leader in the videogame industry. With a history of delivering iconic game changers -- like Pitfall®, Tony Hawk®, Guitar Hero®, Crash Bandicoot™, Skylanders™ and Call of Duty® -- our obsession is delighting our players around the globe. Focused and committed to innovation, we consistently deliver the most beloved, engaging and successful entertainment.
And while we have world-class franchises, infrastructure and resources, our success comes from a passionate, talented and diverse team of people producing greatness together. So, if you’re interested in our biggest priority, it’s our people.
We’re currently driving the next era for our company and community by creating amazing experiences for fans and continuing to make Activision an inclusive place where everyone can thrive.
Year One Responsibilities Include
The Live Ops Analytics Team is adding a talented Data Scientist. As part of the team, your mission is to put science into decision making.
- Proactively perform data exploration to understand player behavior and identify opportunities for improving in-game features
- Partner with cross functional teams to prioritize areas of opportunity to drive engagement and monetization, and enable easier experimentation
- Develop novel analytics to qualitatively deduce and draw conclusions from player behavioral data that directly influences game design, play balance, retention of our live titles
- Partner with studio and engineering teams to ensure smooth and timely instrumentation of gameplay and mtx measures
- Develop and monitor operational metrics to track the health of a live multimillion-dollar service business
- Measure the impact of features, promotions, store offerings, and events through experimentation and causal inference to fuel recommendations
- Democratize and socialize learnings by contributing to a centralized repository that informs future game design, and is carried across titles and franchises
We are seeking a leader who will contribute to team success by embodying all the characteristics of our culture
- Competently defines execution plans, and suggest projects for prioritization
- Effectively manages own time and stakeholder expectations
- Fosters relationship with our stakeholders and partner teams to increase our sphere of influence
- Contributes to company learnings and proactively documents results
- Participates in feedback conversations with supervisor and peers, and can adapt approach when needed
- Drives measurable engagement and revenue impact through analysis and statistical models
As a High Performer You Will
Possess a unique blend of project skills and business savvy; a passion for exceptional execution within a dynamic environment and the flexibility and focus to achieve result
- BA/BS degree required with technical focus (Statistics, Econometrics, Computer Science, Physics, Engineering or a related quantitative field); MS/PhD a plus
- 1+ years total experience in analytics
- Strong technical skills with SQL, R/ Python for data analysis; demonstrated programming skills either in data science or software development settings a plus
- Experience with distributed analytic processing technologies (Spark, Presto, Hive)
- Understanding of AB testing, experimentation, and causal inference methodologies
- Experience with predictive and prescriptive modeling a plus
- Skilled at deriving narrative from data and communicate the results effectively
- Good product sense, with a solid understanding of user engagement and monetization strategies in gaming, entertainment/ecommerce service providers, or mobile apps a plus
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The video game industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Activision is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.