Lead VFX Artist
Founded in 1990, Raven Software is the developer of numerous award-winning games including Hexen, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and most recently, a major contributor to the blockbuster Call of Duty® franchise. We’re based in Middleton, Wisconsin, a suburb of Madison, annually ranked on numerous lists as one of the top places to live and work.
We have a unique vision for our industry. One that has and continues to inspire us. We bring no egos. We focus on what is best for the game. We hire stunning peers. We own our own mistakes. We treat each other with respect. After nearly 30 years, Raven Software is still thriving. We developed a team who cares about one another, our games and our players. As we enter the next exciting chapter of our story, we are growing. Our team is creative, highly intelligent, well-led and equipped to face this exciting future. If you want to work with a world-class team, on exciting new projects, then apply today! We look forward to hearing from you.
As a Lead VFX Artist, you will direct a team of high-caliber artists as they craft compelling and realistic visual effects for a game played by millions. As a dedicated team leader, you will play a critical role as part of the project leadership team as you establish, maintain, and drive visual effects quality into the next generation of immersive gameplay and cinematic experiences. Come and be a part of the excitement and energy as you help our high-caliber environment art team daily to deliver greatness.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Share your deep passion and knowledge of crafting mind-blowing real-time high quality particle effects using both static and animating 2D/3D elements
- Set quality and performance standards and define clear milestones, action plans, and schedules.
- Collaborate regularly with other departments to ensure VFX reinforces and augments gameplay, immersion, and project objectives.
- Work with tool engineers and tech art teams to create new VFX pipelines and processes that improve efficiency and results.
- Guide, mentor, and develop a team of artists that thrive on open and welcome constructive criticism; Elevate and guide them through career goals, challenges, and opportunities.
- Contribute creative and original ideas towards all aspects of game production and development.
- Minimum of 7 years of game industry experience developing art for AAA games.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a 4 year college or university and/or 7+ years related experience and/or training in AAA video games or film or equivalent.
- Highly skilled in all areas of 3D VFX principals and techniques and can quickly learn and master new tools, processes, and pipelines.
- Experience leading a team of creatives through the many facets of game development with a strong ability to schedule out a team project from start to finish.
- Possesses in-depth understanding of game engines (Unreal4, Radiant, Unity, etc), editors, tools, pipelines, memory constraints, and development processes.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Displays self-motivation, a strong work ethic, and can work proactively and independently.
- Strong reel demonstrating excellent examples of visual effects and process.
- Passion for the Call of Duty franchise.
- Experience in a secondary area such as texturing, modeling, scripting, animation, or lighting.
- Experience creating VFX shaders.
- Experience and comfort in Unreal and/or PopcornFX.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Raven Software is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law