Senior Director, Global Live Services Marketing NBA 2K
2K develops and publishes interactive entertainment globally for console systems, handheld gaming devices and personal computers, including smartphones and tablets. 2K is a leading publisher of today’s most popular gaming genres and most well-known for critically acclaimed game franchises like NBA 2K, WWE 2K, Bioshock, Borderlands, Evolve, XCOM and the beloved Sid Meier’s Civilization.
NBA 2K is developed by Visual Concepts under license with the NBA and is one of the industry’s top titles having sold more than 90MM units worldwide since its launch in 1999. Its latest release is highly anticipated every year and available across console, PC, mobile platforms. The NBA 2K brand is well-known not only a gaming phenomenon, but also increasingly a lifestyle and culture icon year-round.
This role is part of the NBA 2K Global Marketing team that is responsible for marketing strategy across all business verticals. We partner across the organization through influence and relationships to orchestrate a unified, effective, and scalable effort. At any given moment we are the supporter, leader, approver, and/or responsible party with other internal and external teams.
What We Need
We are seeking a Senior Director of Global Live Services Marketing to lead marketing strategy and drive growth for NBA 2K’s Live Services business, led by the popular MyPLAYER and MyTEAM experiences, but also including ongoing music and apparel brand integrations. This role will be responsible for enhancing and evangelizing the user experience to better engage active users, re-engage lapsed users, and acquire new users. To deliver on these results, this role will collaborate with the 2K Growth and Commercial teams, Digital Brand & Social Media and other cross-functional teams to develop holistic NBA 2K Live Services positioning, feature messaging and assets leading up to and through each annual game release. This role will also partner with key members of the Product Development team to influence game design, inform post-launch content calendars and develop integrated marketing plans to support MyPLAYER and MyTEAM content releases and other live services programming.
Own Or Be a Primary Contributor To
What You Will Do:
- Marketing Strategy & Execution
- Content, Event & Execution
- Feature Planning and Prioritization
- User Segmentation
- Player Progression Systems
- User Education, Competition & Camaraderie
- In-Game Player Content, Communication, Execution
- Player Lifecycle Strategy
- Manage a current team of 3 best-in-class Live Service marketers
- Create overarching Live Services marketing strategies designed to engage active users, re-engage lapsed users, and acquire new users
- Collaborate with the Global Marketing team to develop holistic NBA 2K Live Services positioning, feature messaging, and assets leading up to annual NBA2K game release
- Build a strong working relationship with the Development team (Visual Concepts) by attending weekly meetings & communicating daily on all things related to Live Services
- Advise the Development team as they create the NBA 2K post-launch content calendar
- Collate ideas for custom NBA 2K content to support various cross-functional team initiatives, and pitch them to Development for consideration
- Drive 360 approach to supporting the NBA 2K player experience including overarching paid media strategy, Influencer and Digital Brand & Social Media
- In consultation with Digital Brand & Social Media, Web, CRM & Performance Marketing teams, approve creative team briefs on asset needs, including short and long-form videos, static images, content description copy & ad copy
- Partner with Senior Producer to ensure timely delivery of assets in all requested formats
- Collaborate with Global Marketing & cross-functional teams to activate 3rd party support, including gaming platforms, retail, Influencers, 2K partners, NBA/PA, athletes and more
- Partner with Commercial, Analytics, and Performance Marketing teams to develop new audience segments based on user behavior within NBA 2K
- Develop a process with Commercial and Monetization team for regular NBA 2K user data review, communicating cross-functional updates as appropriate, and adjusting marketing plans based on learnings
What Skills Are Needed
- MUST HAVE A TEAM-FIRST ATTITUDE AND NO EGO. We are looking for a GOOD human with a collaborative working style.
- 8+ years of marketing experience in fast-paced, dynamic, consumer-focused technology companies
- 3+ years of leadership in video game live services
- Proven leadership and influence with cross-functional, operating teams that built execution success with positive teamwork and morale
- Strong analytical skills and business judgment to inform NBA 2K Live Services strategy and planning
- Past roles with global execution is a plus
- Deep passion for the NBA and NBA 2K a major plus