Senior Data Scientist
Who We Are
2K Games Dublin is a hub focused on performance marketing, commercial strategy, data engineering and data science/analytics that was established in 2014. Formerly known as Subrosa, 2K Games Dublin is part of the 2K Games group of companies.
2K develops and publishes interactive entertainment globally for console systems, handheld gaming devices and personal computers, including smartphones and tablets. 2K is a leading publisher of today’s most popular gaming genres and most well-known for critically acclaimed game franchises like NBA 2K, WWE 2K, BioShock, Borderlands, Evolve, XCOM and the beloved Sid Meier’s Civilization.
What We Need
We’re looking for skilled and passionate experienced senior data scientists to work in our growing central Data Science team. They will be primarily focused on console/PC games and be responsible for crunching data, building models, and extracting insights. Model outputs are used in a production environment to power live-ops (in-game monetization) and marketing (in-game, in-console, and direct). Insights are used by leadership to manage the business and improve the product. Our games are played by millions every day, and in-game monetization is part of the Analytics group, so our team has a very rich dataset to play with, and a direct path to implementing our outputs.
What You Will Do
- Analyse player gameplay and economy telemetry data to understand player behaviour and suggest actions to improve the player experience
- Build player churn prediction, spend propensity, lifetime value and marketing efficacy models
- Build forecasting, economic/financial, and operational efficiency models
- Test acquisition, engagement, marketing and monetization strategies to improve performance
- Work closely with development teams to provide insights into game quality, difficulty, and fun
- Work closely with performance marketing team to optimise targeted audiences, identify measurable KPI’s and report on performance of advertising campaigns
- Establish and distribute regular performance reports based on simple telemetry and advanced models
- Perform ad hoc analyses for finance, marketing, production and operations
- Present analysis findings in writing and via presentation (including for remote groups)
Who We Think Will Be a Great Fit
The ideal candidate must be able to see the underlying story in the data, build sophisticated or simple models depending on the situation, and develop a compelling communication to executives. Being a solution oriented, creative problem solver; a self-starter with the passion and enthusiasm to drive results for meaningful change is critical for this role.
- BSc, MSc or PhD in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, Sciences (or in another quantitative discipline).
- 4+ years of experience data mining & analytics, building models with very large, complex and multi-dimensional data sets.
- Experience with predictive modelling techniques and accomplished in use of R or Python machine learning and related modules.
- Experience in relational databases, SQL data carpentry. Experience with big data technologies such as Spark or NoSQL DBs a plus. We use Snowflake for our data warehouse.
- Experience with data visualization tools a plus, Tableau preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, with a proven track record of working across all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, rapidly prototyping and testing new ideas with little guidance.
- Managerial experience is a plus, with a proven track record of improving the efficiency and output of the team.
- Drive to solve problems, meet deadlines, and build whatever is necessary along the way.
- Experience understanding the strengths and weaknesses of different modelling approaches and can effectively reason about when to apply different combinations and iterate.
- Demonstrated expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise within cross-functional teams.
- Video games industry experience and/or gaming familiarity helpful.
Founded in 2005, 2K develops and publishes interactive entertainment globally for console systems, handheld gaming systems and personal computers, including smartphones and tablets, which are delivered through physical retail, digital download, online platforms and cloud streaming services. 2K publishes titles in today’s most popular gaming genres, including shooters, action, role-playing, strategy, sports, casual, and family entertainment. The 2K label has some of the most talented development studios in the world today, including Firaxis Games, Visual Concepts, 2K Marin, 2K Czech, Hangar 13, Cat Daddy Games and 2K China. 2K’s stable of high quality titles includes the critically acclaimed BioShock®, Borderlands™ and XCOM® franchises, the beloved Sid Meier’s Civilization series, the popular WWE 2K franchise and NBA 2K, the #1 rated and #1 selling basketball franchise. 2K is a wholly owned label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO).